Tuesday 7 May 2013

Blog Every Day in May - Blog 7 - Pets

We never had pets at home when I was growing up, so I used to spend a lot of my time in my neighbour's garden. They had a Jack Russell and a mongrel which seemed to be mostly black Labrador, where else would I want to be? Whenever I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, my standard answer was that I wanted to be someone with a lot of dogs.

That didn't fade entirely, I always wanted a pet and in my early twenties bought a rabbit with my then boyfriend. She clearly had something about her as she was allowed to move in with him, my presence was limited to a drawer. Perhaps that should have been the sign I needed that this wasn't a relationship to bring a bunny in to. She was tiny and golden and was, of course, named Honey. She gave me a lot of cuddles and entertainment (particularly when she ate the buttons from the remote control) but unfortunately the relationship ended and I returned to my pet-less days.


Since then I've remained broadly pet free. I have thirty or so fish in the pond and we had some indoor fish a few years ago, but nothing I can cuddle. We dream of having a dog, to the extent that this dog has a name and we have a shortlist (well, quite a long list actually) of our preferred breeds. However, with us both working long hours it doesn't seem fair to get a dog just yet. One day though... Until them, I'll keep working on the fish to let me hand feed them more often.




Blog Every Day in May badge

No comments:

Post a Comment